I chose the olive green thread to quilt this piece in the end and it came out exactly as I had envisioned it would.
It is quite a long piece and was a bit cumbersome under the needle so I had to sew slowly and carefully, rolling the quilt up as I worked.
I had also used different weights of fabric. What guided my choices were the colors of the fabrics so I ended up having heavier olive greens from combat uniforms and lighter slightly stretchier pieces from dress uniforms. I usually make a point of working with the same weight of fabrics that have the same stretch capacity.
This time it was quite a challenge, some of the fabric pieces stretched a lot as I was curving the waves and I had to iron quite agressively to flatten the puckers but it was worth it as the end result is what I wanted.
I haven't decided yet whether to bind the pieces or stretch them over a frame. So they are going to be rolled up and stored until I decide.
I will complete the series and then decide how to finish them all.